Saturday, January 9, 2010

Les Landes Department 40

Les Landes

As I read about each department I am finding out that each one has its own personality and history. Les Landes means "the marshes" or "the moors". It is the 2nd largest department a little larger than if you combined Delaware and Rhode Island, but it is 81st out of 96 when it comes to population. The 2 main cities are Mont-de-Marsan and Dax.

At one time Les Landes was covered in sandy moors and marshes but in the late 1700's and all throughout the 1800's the marshes were drained and the pine trees planted. This gives France today one of the largest forest in Europe. In the marshes were drained it swept away the sheep and the shepherds on stilts, but the story and the stilts are remembered as part of their heritage.


As I look at the picture of the structure the Shepard on stilts found in Mont-de-Marsan, it reminds me of the good Shepard. Lord, I pray for the department of Landes and I pray that they will hear and desire to know You as their Good Shepard who lays his life down for his sheep.

Lord, I pray that you will have many sheep in France and in Les Landes. I pray in the name of Jesus, the good shepard. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment